Ladies and gentlemen,
I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself. My name is Pieter Maat and I moved from the Netherlands to the wonderful Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania in 1995 at the age of 24 as an entrepreneur. As a one-man company I began to buy cows and calves from farmers in the area in order to market them as profitably as possible. I now employ a team of 20 trained and highly motivated people who ensure the welfare of the animals and the smooth running of P. Maat GmbH every day.
Together with Thomas Telaar and Björn Müller, I took over Schlachtbetrieb GmbH Perleberg and K&K Petfood GmbH in 2006. There, too, we work according to the motto “quality over quantity” and produce first-class steaks as well as dog and cat food every day with the intention of strengthening the regional focus and animal welfare. The situation is similar with Milchhof Am Recknitztal eG, which I joined as a member in 2016 after a business relationship of many years.
In recent years, I have been able to gain many impressions and experiences in the agricultural sector through my professional career. As a visionary entrepreneur, I have made it my duty to optimise these processes and to represent animal welfare, sustainability and a regional focus.
My personal vision of the future for sustainable farming:
- Appreciation of farm animals from pasture to end product
- Greater animal welfare through the construction of new, modern stable facilities and short transport routes
- Minimal purchasing of food and optimal use of grassland areas
- Minimising the purchasing of mineral fertilisers
- Protection against overfertilisation through new fertilisation ordinance
- Greater biodiversity and thus greater biological diversity in the ecosystems
- Co2-neutral production at all locations
P. Maat GmbH combines cattle marketing, a slaughterhouse, milk production and the sale of meat under one roof. The sustainability factor is of particular importance